You’ll often come across the term ‘under 4.5’ when reviewing betting options for upcoming sports matches. But what does this specific bet type signify and how does it work across major sports? This guide explains the key meaning of under 4.5 bets and provides examples.
What Does Under 4.5 Mean?
In betting, under 4.5 refers to a wager that the total goals, points, runs or other scored units accumulated in a match will be less than 4.5 by the end of regulation time.
Some key things to note:
- The 4.5 total represents the combined score of both teams.
- The bet wins if the total stays under 4 goals or points.
- If the total is exactly 5, the bet loses because it was not under 4.5.
- Under 4.5 bets are a form of totals betting indicating a low predicted combined score based on the perceived strength of the teams.
- They offer lower risk than betting on exact match scores.
Here are examples of typical under 4.5 bets across major sports:
- Football Liverpool vs Manchester United under 4.5 goals
- Basketball Miami Heat vs Lakers under 4.5 total points scored
- Tennis Nadal vs Federer under 4.5 total sets
- Baseball Yankees vs Red Sox under 4.5 total runs scored
- American Football Broncos vs Chiefs under 4.5 touchdowns
- Cricket Australia vs England under 4.5 total sixes
- The under 4.5 bet can apply to any sport with scoring metrics. The combined total just needs to stay under 4.5.
Common betting strategies using under 4.5 totals include:
- Targeting low-scoring defensive matchups, inclement weather games, or tactical coaches.
- Combining with correct score predictions like 1-0, 1-1 or 2-0 to increase probability of success.
- Using for in-play betting if matches remain low-scoring deep into the game.
- Parlaying multiple under 4.5 selections together across different events or days.
When applied strategically, under 4.5 bets provide a low-risk sports betting opportunity.
Under 4.5 bets can be utilized in combination with correct score predictions, accumulators, or for live betting. With the right match selection, under 4.5 totals provide beginner punters with a safer sports betting option.